Friday 5 September 2014

The marmite debate


One week in the city, I'm coming to the conclusion that living or commuting to London is a bit like marmite. You either love it or hate it.

I think I'm leaning more towards the love side because it's new and exciting. I'm getting an inside to what my life could be, busy, ever moving, fueled with coffee and gossip. My first week as an intern has been great. I am given responsibility with tasks and left to use my initiative to move onto new tasks, rather than just shadowing what someone else is doing I get my own computer and own responsibilities. 

It has been interesting to work within PR from a brands focus, working with the clothes and pulling items to send out to the publications. From sitting in on meetings I have learnt about how much goes into organising an event, such as VFNO coming up soon. The PR team are in charge of the event held in NEXT Oxford street, the gifts and competitions, the entertainment and the marketing on social media. It's a very creative role these women have and I have loved being able to hear about who they work with and how closely involved they are with photographers, stylists and such when on shoots.


With what I'm learning here I would love my next opportunity to work for a publication in their PR office to see it from the other side, requesting clothes for certain themed stories or adverts. There is definitely a much more balanced relationship between the brand and the publication when shooting looks, which I was before hand not so aware of. When a brand is paying to have their advert in a magazine or to have a special feature obviously they want to get as much as they can into the shoot so they will attend to share their guidance and knowledge of the product with the photographer and stylist,to make sure the product is being properly represented. 

For now it's time for me to sleep all weekend because this week of commuting has left me completely shattered. Until next week!

Train Playlist this week: 
Sleeping With Sirens, The Vaccines, Ronan Keating, Twin Atlantic, Taylor Swift, Artic Monkeys 

No comments:

Post a Comment